Mindy Kaling n'est pas très connue en France mais, regardant pléthore de séries américaines, je l'ai découverte dans The Office puis ai enchaîné avec The Mindy Project (série qui vient d'être annulée après 3 saisons mais sera peut-être reprise sur Hulu). Son personnage dans The Mindy Project est moi en pire en terme d'égocentrisme (j'en ai déjà parlé). Bref, si cette série ne survit pas, qui va me servir de mentor???
Son personnage de Mindy Lahiri est juste mon idole: "Shopping is my cardio // It' so weird being my own role model // Sometimes you just have to put on lipgloss and pretend to be psyched // I am a hot, smart woman, with an ass that doesn't quit // If I'm going to be a mess, I might as well be a hot mess // I have the right to life, liberty and chicken wings."
En allant à Barnes & Noble l'été dernier aux Etats-Unis, je suis tombée sur son livre Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns), et donc évidemment, je l'ai acheté! Elle y raconte avec beaucoup d'humour son enfance jusqu'à son arrivée à Hollywood. C'est drôle, plein de sentiments et d'auto-dérision! Bien sûr, comme c'est une autobiographie, si vous ne connaissez pas ou ne vous intéressez pas à Mindy Kaling, pas la peine de lire ce livre. Mon avis est de toute évidence extrêmement subjectif!
N.B.: ce trésor de livre n'est pas traduit en français [insérer une grimace triste].
I have quite a passion for Mindy Kaling. I say "passion" because I think the fact that I am following her on Twitter, Instagram, watch religiously her TV show and have now read her book goes well beyond a simple "girl-crush". Heck, we may as well talk about "obsession".
Mindy Kaling is not very well know in France, but since I watch a lot of American TV shows, I discovered her in The Office and then started watching The Mindy Project. Her character in The Mindy Project is basically me in worst on the self-centeredness level. But the TV show got cancelled (unless...Hulu?) so who will be my mentor?
The character of Mindy Lahiri is pretty much my idol: "Shopping is my cardio // It' so weird being my own role model // Sometimes you just have to put on lipgloss and pretend to be psyched // I am a hot, smart woman, with an ass that doesn't quit // If I'm going to be a mess, I might as well be a hot mess // I have the right to life, liberty and chicken wings."
Last summer at Barnes & Noble,I saw her book Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns), and it was an evidence: I had to buy it! She talks about her childhood until her arrival in Hollywood with a lot of humor. It is very funny, full of feelings and self-mockery. Of course, since it is autobiographical, if you do not know or care about Mindy Kaling, reading this book is not worth it. My own opinion is quite biased for this one!
Citations // Quotes (j'aurais pu vous réécrire tout le livre // I could have quoted the whole book):
- "One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about" (p.43)
- "It was populated mostly by middle-aged lesbian couples who had taken on the noble challenge of gentrifying the neighborhood." (p.52)
- "It was October 2001 and I lived in New York City. I was twenty-two. I, like many of my female friends, suffered from a strange combination of post 9/11 anxiety and height-of-Sex-and-the-City anxiety." (p.66)
- "This was the height of Bennifer. [...] I think it's also easy to forget that Bennifer created the trend of blended celebrity couple name. Without it we wouldn't have Brangelina or Tomkat, or even the less used Jabrobra (James Brolin and Barbara Streisand)." (p.86)
- "Everyone has a momentwhen they discover they love Amy Poehler." (p.130)
- "My mom and I went to go see The Help, and during the movie I noticed her starting tearing up. It was such a rare sight, I started to as well. Soon we were both weeping so hard it was as though we'd been black maids in Jim Crow-era Mississippi and the movie had hit too close to home. People were weirded out." (p.172)